- Highly active and inquisitive cat
- Sociable and dependent cat
- Quiet cat
- Larger stockier cat breed
- Requires grooming every day
- Non hypoallergenic breed
- Needs some out-door space
- May require familiarisation before living with children
Turkish Van cats are extremely intelligent and friendly and they make excellent companions. They are lively cats and will enjoy playing games with humans or other cats and so they need stimluaton and a chance to play. Turkish Van cats have soft voices.
History and Origins
Country of Origin: Turkey
Other Names: Turkish Swimming Cat
The most amazing characteristic of the Turkish Van cat is its affinity with water. It not only likes water but also seems to enjoy a swim. The breed originates from the area surrounding Lake Van in Turkey and has been domesticated there for hundreds of years. In the 1950s a pair of Turkish Van cats were brought back to Britain by a holidaying couple and they began to breed these distinctively marked cats in the UK.